Sutherland Secondary School Market Garden Grand Opening – A Photographic Review Part I
On June 12/2015 North Vancouver’s Sutherland Secondary School market garden officially opened. The project marks the Plant a Seed & See What Grows Foundation’s first major initiative to create a healthier generation through outdoor experiences that connect us to the land and provide opportunities to improve our communities. The Foundation was responsible for building the fence surrounding the community garden, providing not just protection, but standing as a pillar for all future Foundation initiatives. We are honoured to have the opportunity to work with Sutherland Secondary School, the Edible Garden Project, the North Vancouver School District, the City of North Vancouver, Whole Foods (event sponsor), and everyone else involved in getting this project off of the ground.
Today we’re taking the opportunity to share a few pictures from the Grand Opening along with some additional information about the market garden.
A few facts about the Sutherland Secondary School market garden:
- The garden uses intensive planting techniques to maximize productivity of the space.
- The garden uses organic practices.
- Farmers and volunteer interns harvest regularly, and take the garden’s produce to Loutet Farm to sell at farm gate sales Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Revenue from produce grown at the market garden pays for supplies and farmer’s wages.
Market garden as an Outdoor Classroom:
- Studies have shown that many children learn much better when they are outside, interacting with nature and engaging their bodies as well as their minds. One of Sutherland Secondary’s teachers saw the potential for this, and her dream to bring an active outdoor classroom set amongst the rows of a market garden is underway. Imagine geometry coming to life along the vegetable beds, science having roots outside of a beaker, or learning the history of feudalism in Europe with a working farm in the background. The possibilities for experiential learning in the schoolyard market garden are endless! (The Edible Garden Project)
Produce grown at the market garden:
- The garden grows organic salad greens, radish, carrots, potatoes, strawberries, salad turnips, tomatoes, and more!
We welcome you to visit the Sutherland Schoolyard Market Garden! Stay tuned as more great photos from this event are posted here on the Foundation’s blog and on our Facebook page.